ASN European Conference: Nationalism in Times of Uncertainty
Date: 04-06 July 2018
Location: University of Graz, Austria
The University of Graz, in cooperation with the Association for the Study of Nationalities (ASN), is pleased to announce the joint conference, "Nationalism in Times of Uncertainty" which will be held from 4 to 6 July, 2018 in Graz, Austria. The conference will be organized by the Centre for Southeast European Studies of the University of Graz
The conference invites a broad range of papers and panels devoted to questions of nationalism, ethnicity, national identity and other related topics, with a focus on the Balkans, as well as Central Europe, Russia, Ukraine, Eurasia, comparative and theoretical contributions.
As an interdisciplinary event, it welcomes contributions from political science, history, anthropology, sociology, sociology, law, economics, geography, cultural studies, literature, psychology, and related fields.
We particularly welcome panels and papers reflecting on the question of uncertainty and ruptures, including on
- The Impact of Populism and the Crisis of Democracy
- The Centenary of the End of World War One and the emergence of new states
- Breakdown of the post-WW I order in the Middle East
- The Aftermath of the Russian Revolution
- Muslim Nationalism in a transnational context
- Migration and Nationalist Responses
- Transnational dynamics of nationalism
Prospective applicants can review the broad thematic scope of ASN conference papers by viewing programs from past conferences at: hhttp://nationalities.org/conventions/euro
For more information about the Centre for Southeast European Studies click on the Center title.
The ASN 2018 European Conference invites proposals for individual papers and panels. The standard panel format consists of a chair and three or four presenters. Conference proposals should be submitted in English. All required information must be included in a single Word or PDF document and attached to a single email message.
Individual Paper Proposal Requirements:
- Contact information: name, e-mail address, and academic affiliation of the applicant.
- Paper abstract (up to 500 words) with the title of the paper and no more than five keywords.
- A 100-word, one paragraph biographical statement in narrative form. Standard CVs will not be accepted.
- Individual proposals featuring more than one author (joint proposals) must include contact information and biographical statements for all authors.
Panel Proposal Requirements:
- Contact information for all panelists: names, e-mail addresses, and academic affiliations.
- Title of the panel and abstract (up to 500 words) for each paper.
- 100-word biographical statement for each panelist. Statements in a standard CV format will not be accepted.
- We also welcome book panel proposals, which should include the same information as panel proposals. The books should be significant contributions to the field and preference is given to monographs.
- Roundtables are also accepted and applications should follow panel proposal format. These should distinguish themselves from panel proposals by focusing on a) key events or developments, b) methodological questions or c) new fields of research.
As a general rule, no person may appear more than twice on the program and only once as a paper giver.
Conference information (program, logistical details, etc.) will be available on the CSEES website.
There will up to 30 travel and accommodation grants available. The grants are aimed at graduate students and post-docs and will cover travel costs (within Europe up to 200 Euros) and accommodation for the duration of the conference.
Conference registration costs are
- Faculty 100 Euros (ASN Members: 60 Euros)
- Students 60 Euros (ASN Members: 30 Euros)
Please send your proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 January 2018
Papers and panels will be assessment by an international board composed of scholars from the ASN and the University of Graz.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent in March 2018.
The deadline for registration is 31 April 2018.
The draft program will be published by the end of May 2018.
For more information, please contact: <email@example.com>