The deadline for receipt of all nominations is December 7, 2018. (We will accept books with a 2018 publication date that are published after December 7, as long as they are received no later than January 16, 2019. Please contact the chair of the prize committee at [email protected] prior to the December 7, 2018 deadline if you plan to submit a book after December 7.)
The name of the winner will be announced at the 24th Annual ASN World Convention, to be held May 2-4, 2019 at Columbia University, New York, NY.
Rules of Eligibility
Rules of eligibility for the Joseph Rothschild Prize in Nationalism and Ethnic Studies are as follows:
· The copyright date inside the book must list 2018 as the date of publication.
· Authors may be of any nationality as long as the work is originally published in English.
· Works may deal with any area of Russia, Eastern Europe, or Eurasia (including the Balkans, Central Europe, the Baltics, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Central Asia, the Caucasus, Turkey, Afghanistan, and China). Theoretical works on ethnicity and nationalism that are relevant to the region will also be considered.
· The competition is open to works of scholarship in any field, so long as substantial attention is paid to the study of nationalism and/or ethnicity, broadly defined.
· Edited volumes, textbooks, bibliographies, and reference works are ineligible.
· Books by currently serving judges of the Joseph Rothschild Prize in Nationalism and Ethnic Studies, or by immediate family members of this group, are not eligible.
2019 Joseph Rothschild Book Prize Committee
The winner of the 2019 Joseph Rothschild Prize in Nationalism and Ethnic Studies will be chosen by the following scholars:
Dmitry Gorenburg, Harvard University; Committee Chair(mailing address):
178 Richardson Dr
Needham, MA 02492
Florian Bieber, University of Graz
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Florian Bieber
Professor of Southeast European History and Politics Center for Southeast European Studies
University of Graz Schubertstrasse 21 A-8010 Graz Austria
Eleanor Knott, LSE
Department of Methodology, London School of Economics, Houghton Street,
London WC2A 2AE UK
Charles King, Georgetown University(mailing address):
Dept. of Government, ICC 6th Floor Georgetown University
37th and O Streets, NW Washington, DC 20057
Send one copy of each eligible monograph to each Committee member (see addresses above) AND to the ASN office at:
Rothschild Book Prize Nomination
c/o Roland Spickermann
Book Review Editor, Nationalities Papers Dept. of History
University of Texas - Permian Basin 4901 East University
Odessa TX 79762-0001 USA
Nominations must be received no later than December 7, 2018. (We will accept books with a 2018 publication date that are published after December 7, as long as they are received no later than January 16, 2019.)
Submissions should be clearly marked “Rothschild Book Prize Nomination.” If youwould like to receive an acknowledgment that your nomination was received, please enclose with the copy mailed to the ASN office a note with your e-mail address or a self- addressed stamped envelope or a postcard.