The annual photo contest rewards scholars for the best photos from their fieldwork. These photos are judged in terms of their content, synthesis, and visually compelling insights about nationalism, ethnicity, or migration. The photo submissions should be accompanied by a brief description (300-400 words) of how the photo relates to the fieldwork of the applicant in particular and nationalism, ethnicity or migration in general. This is the second year of the photo contest.
The contest is judged by a jury comprised of leading scholars from the editorial board of Nationalities Papers. The membership of the jury changes every year, and is led by the editor-in-chief of the journal and supported by the managing editor. The 6 prize-winning photographs will be featured on the cover of Nationalities Papers. The photographer(s) will be acknowledged in the journal.
1. The Nationalities Papers Photo contest is open to all members of the Association for the Study of Nationalities (ASN) and published authors of Nationalities Papers (including forthcoming).
2. The photographer(s) must be the author(s) of the pictures submitted in his/her/their name.
3. The photographer(s) must be the copyright holder(s) of the photos.
4. A photo can only be entered once. Photos submitted more than once will be removed from the contest.
5. Photos should not have been published elsewhere.
6. Photos must meet the following specifications:
7. Copyright holders of all the submitted photos grant Nationalities Papers unlimited nonexclusive use of high-resolution photos for activities in all media, including social media, online and print, in relation to the contest, the journal, the ASN website, the annual convention program, the public archive, and all promotional and educational activities for and under the auspices of Nationalities Papers and ASN, without any remuneration being due.
8. By submitting a photo, scholars warrant that the submission of the photos does not breach any law, and further that no third party can hold any claims or any objections regarding the rights granted to Nationalities Papers specified in article 7. The copyright holders will hold Nationalities Papers harmless of any claims from third parties related hereto.
9. The entry rules and any dispute, proceedings, or claim of whatever nature arising out of or in any way relating to the entry rules (including any non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed by U.S. law.
10. Any dispute arising from the entry rules (whether contractual or noncontractual) shall be decided solely and exclusively by the competent court of New York.
11. The conditions set out in the entry rules are binding, and Nationalities Papers reserves the right to refuse or exclude any entry at its own discretion.
The winners of the 4th Nationalities Papers Photo Contest in Nationalism and Ethnic Studies will be chosen by the following scholars:
Submit your photos and brief descriptions electronically by emailing them to Ned Whalley, Managing Editor of Nationalities Papers: [email protected]